Worried About the Welfare of a Child ?

Boy sitting on wooden bridge with  teddy bear

If you are worried about the welfare of a child or young person not already known to Social services, please contact your Gateway team in your local Health and Social Care Trust. Please see contact details below :- If you think a child is in Immediate Danger – Don’t delay! Call the Police on 999.

Link to Search Results for Child Protection

What can I do if I am worried about the welfare of a child ?

If you are concerned about the welfare of a child or young person you should contact your nearest Gateway Team. Mon – Fri 9.00am-5.00pm (ex Public Holidays)

What are Gateway Teams ?

The Gateway Service is a social work service for children and families.

It is the first point of contact for people who are concerned about a child or young person. It provides an immediate response to safeguard children in need of protection.

Gateway social workers visit children, young people and their families in their own homes to assess their needs.

Social workers liaise with other professionals involved with the family to ensure their views are included in the assessment.

If you contact the Gateway Team by phone, the Duty Worker will seek some general information about you, the child or family and the nature of your concern.

On the basis of this information they will carry out an assessment, to establish if any further action needs to be taken to safeguard the child. This will include any urgent actions required to ensure the child’s immediate safety.

If the information available to Gateway teams indicates that a child has suffered, or is at risk of suffering significant harm, children’s social services will see and speak to the child within 24 hours.

The Gateway Service ensures that those children identified as requiring ongoing social work support receive this service.

Contact for Gateway Teams in Each Trust Area

Belfast HSC Trust Tel: 028 9050 7000

South Eastern HSC Trust Tel: 0300 1000 300

Northern HSC Trust Tel: 0300 1234 333

Southern HSC Trust: Tel: 0800 7837 745

Western HSC Trust Tel: 028  7131 4090

If you are unsure which Trust Area you are in please check map of Trust Areas 

Out of Hours - Regional Emergency Social Work Number

For situations that require an emergency out of hours social work response

(5pm to 9am Monday to Friday and 24 hours at weekends and public holidays) 08001979995

Other helpful contacts

Adults can contact the NSPCC helpline at 0808 800 5000 or contact NSPCC Helpline online, if they have concerns about a child or need advice.

Childline is a counselling service for children and young people. You can contact Childline by phone on 0800 1111 or get in touch Childline online.

NI Child Sexual Exploitation Helpline Number

0800 389 1701

Related Documents

Health and Social Care Trust Areas

Last Updated: 27/07/2023